Saturday, August 6, 2022

Steffen Schleiermacher's piano recitals


Steffen Schleiermacher (publicity photo from official website)

Steffen Schleiermacher, a German pianist, composer and conductor, has contributed to the revival of Russian Futurist music with three albums. 

He has done two piano recitals albums of Russian Futurist piano music, Soviet Avant-Garde and Soviet Avant-Garde 2.   The composers covered on these two recordings are Alexander Mosolov, Nikolai Roslavetz,  Arthur LouriĆ©, Sergei Protopopov and Leonid Polovinkin. 


On those albums, he seemed to me to have a particular affinity for Mosolov, and in fact he is the featured pianist on a Mosolov collection with various artists issued by Capriccio which includes Mosolov's first piano concerto. 

I should also point out that Herr Schleiermacher is a very prolific and hard working musician who has recorded a great deal of contemporary classical music by composers from all over the world, including the complete piano music of John Cage and the works of a very wide range of other composers, everyone from Morton Feldman to Stefan Wolpe, even avant-garde music from Indonesia! Explore his work at the official website.  It has hard to think of another musician who has made a greater effort to connect listeners to modern classical music. 

As far as I can tell, he isn't on social media, but he deserves to be better known. 


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. I have Stravinsky's Symphony in C playing right now. I just downloaded two Stravinsky CD's to listen to over the next two months as I finally finish Anna Karenina.

    ReplyDelete

I've gone Substack

I'm going to try publishing this blog on Substack; please go here to see new posts and an archive of all of my older posts. I'll h...