Saturday, July 30, 2022

An interesting album

 


The Life of the Machines, a piano recital recorded by Russian born French pianist Vladimir Stoupel, is an interesting album I recently stumbled across on Freegal Music, the streaming music service offered by some public libraries in the U.S. 

There are good performances of two substantial pieces by composers this blog is concerned about: The second piano sonata of Nikolai Roslavets, and the fourth piano sonata of Alexander Mosolov

The other pieces -- by Conlon Nancarrow, Wladyslaw Szpilman and George Antheil -- put the two Russian pieces an an international context of Futurism. All are interesting; I particularly liked Antheil's fourth piano sonata, which convinces me I need to listen to Antheil more often. 



1 comment:

  1. Ezra Pound wrote a book called "Anteil and the Treatise on Harmony".

    ReplyDelete

I've gone Substack

I'm going to try publishing this blog on Substack; please go here to see new posts and an archive of all of my older posts. I'll h...