Friday, July 1, 2022

Richard Taruskin has died


Prominent musicologist and author Richard Taruskin has died.  The New York Times obituary (I take the Times, so I can get you behind the paywall) notes his prominence in writing about Russian music and discusses some of the controversies he took sides in:

"His words were anything but sterile: Mr. Taruskin courted controversy in nearly everything he wrote. In the late 1980s, he helped ignite the so-called 'Shostakovich Wars' by critiquing the veracity of Testimony: The Memoirs of Dmitri Shostakovich, as related to and edited by Solomon Volkov (1979), which portrayed the composer as a secret dissident. (Mr. Volkov is a journalist, historian and musicologist.) Drawing on a careful debunking by the scholar Laurel Fay, Mr. Taruskin called the book’s positive reception 'the greatest critical scandal I have ever witnessed'.”


1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. I have not read Taruskin. Facebook tends to let me know about celebrity deaths, but some deaths slip by. Taruskin's scholarly fame did not reach the level to hit my Facebook feed.

    ReplyDelete

I've gone Substack

I'm going to try publishing this blog on Substack; please go here to see new posts and an archive of all of my older posts. I'll h...