Saturday, May 21, 2022

RIP Alexander Toradze

Soviet pianist Alexander Toradze (from Georgia) has died, and the New York Times has an obituary. (I can get you behind the firewall because I have a Times subscription -- subscribers can provide 10 links a month to social media, blogs, friends, etc.) 

"In a 1984 review, Donal Henahan of The Times wrote of Mr. Toradze’s playing, 'It is the distinctive Russian style of an older generation, still alive in this era of stamped-out international virtuosos'.”

Here is Joe Horowitz' appreciation.  And here is nice bonus entry from his blog. 

Toradze apparently didn't make a lot of recordings, but I've been listening to his album (with the Kirov Orchestra and Valery Gergiev) of the Prokofiev piano concertos; it's worth a listen. It's on Hoopla Digital, which means that most Americans with a library card can listen to the album. 

Hat tip: Eric Wagner.

I can't find a public domain/Creative Commons photo and apparently there are a lot of trolls out there who like to attack fair use, so sorry, no photo. 

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. I love the Prokofiev Third Piano Concerto. I enjoyed the film "The Competition" which featured that concerto.

    ReplyDelete

I've gone Substack

I'm going to try publishing this blog on Substack; please go here to see new posts and an archive of all of my older posts. I'll h...