Tuesday, March 1, 2022

I still like Russian music


Sergei Prokofiev, born in what is now the eastern Ukraine. 

I have switched from working full time to working part time -- I am kind of semi-retired -- and so I have more time to work on this blog and revive it. My timing for this effort appears to be a bit awkward. 

While I am interested in classical music generally, the focus of this blog has been on Russian classical music of the 20th century, particularly the avant garde movement of the 1920s and 1930s -- not just Prokofiev and Shostakovich, who obviously don't need any help from me, but also particularly neglected figures such as Alexander Mosolov and Gavriil Popov. 

What all of these composers, and many more I can name, have in common is that they all in various ways managed to get into trouble with the Soviet regime. I am horrified by the ongoing invasion of Ukraine and I've never been a Putin fan, but there seems to be a general dumb abhorrence of all things Russian. I still think the music I am promoting is beautiful and deserves to be known.

Possibly related: Tyler Cowen on "Anti-Russian sentiment is the new McCarthyism." 

I disagree with most of the comments for Tyler's post, but agree with the one posted by Tom Meadowcroft: "Once again the MR comment section makes it clear that liberalism is an intellectual idea which is quickly abandoned as soon as something emotionally triggering happens. Tyler is entirely correct; we shouldn't punish all Russians for the sins of Putin, nor even those who have supported him in the past. It is fair game to punish those who support this war against Ukraine in words or deeds, but punishment for a mere association with Putin and his government is deeply illiberal. But it's the sort of thing that people who have no other means to object to the war can do to signal virtue and make themselves feel good about themselves.

"Liberalism is quickly abandoned when confronted with blood or money. It is not emotionally satisfying. That is why preserving liberal norms will always be a struggle."

Also: Moscow Times is one of the few remaining independent newspapers in Russia. It likely deserves your attention and support. 


1 comment:

I've gone Substack

I'm going to try publishing this blog on Substack; please go here to see new posts and an archive of all of my older posts. I'll h...